Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Neil
  • 2 Post By droneBEE
  • 1 Post By droneBEE
  • 1 Post By Ernest
  • 1 Post By droneBEE

Thread: Cure for apathy !

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238

    Cure for apathy !

    After experimenting with apathy, I think I have discovered some of its causes, and some solutions.

    Additional information welcomed.

    So far I figured out the following can cause you to suffer from apathy:

    Poverty.

    Masturbation.

    Overweightness.

    Lack of muscle mass.

    Ageing.

    Singledom.


    So, if you are young, wealthy, not single, and athletic, you shouldn't be suffering from apathy. :-)


    Some of the above we can do something about more easily than others, as such, I suggest the key areas to focus on are:


    - Reduce excess weight by eating less.

    - Increase muscle mass by exercising more.

    - If single, reduce masturbation to once a month.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    After experimenting with apathy, I think I have discovered some of its causes, and some solutions.

    Additional information welcomed.

    So far I figured out the following can cause you to suffer from apathy:

    Poverty.

    Masturbation.

    Overweightness.

    Lack of muscle mass.

    Ageing.

    Singledom.


    So, if you are young, wealthy, not single, and athletic, you shouldn't be suffering from apathy. :-)


    Some of the above we can do something about more easily than others, as such, I suggest the key areas to focus on are:


    - Reduce excess weight by eating less.

    - Increase muscle mass by exercising more.

    - If single, reduce masturbation to once a month.
    Hmm, reminds me of this part of Orwell's 1984:

    Last edited by Neil; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:01 PM.
    YouTuber and droneBEE like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    That film gets scarer every time I watch it, probably because nowtimes are more like 1984 than ever before.

    Your highlight reminds me of:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...n_masturbation

    I reckon that much of the housekeeping aspects of religion are right on the money when it comes to figuring out the best way to manage human populations.


    I was wondering earlier, if there might be a rule of thumb regarding excess weight, perhaps for every 10lb overweight you are, you lose one hour of productive capacity time per day, so once you reach around 250lb, you don't want to do anything.

    I need more data points though, what is your weight and how many hours per day would you estimate you can work ?

    Mines around 200lb and I can manage 4 hours a day, even though in theory, I should be able to manage twice or three times that, my guess is my weight is causing me to be less productive than my potential.


    Some related links:

    WHO | Obesity and overweight
    > In 2014, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 600 million were obese.

    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/825858
    > Obesity Epidemic Is Global, New Study Confirms

    Global Obesity: A Growing Epidemic | The Huffington Post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    After experimenting with apathy, I think I have discovered some of its causes, and some solutions.

    Additional information welcomed.

    So far I figured out the following can cause you to suffer from apathy:

    Poverty.

    Masturbation.

    Overweightness.

    Lack of muscle mass.

    Ageing.

    Singledom.


    So, if you are young, wealthy, not single, and athletic, you shouldn't be suffering from apathy. :-)


    Some of the above we can do something about more easily than others, as such, I suggest the key areas to focus on are:


    - Reduce excess weight by eating less.

    - Increase muscle mass by exercising more.

    - If single, reduce masturbation to once a month.
    You forgot 'self-inflicted' ignorance......:roll eyes:

    How does one 'experiment' with apathy?


    POVERTY; Living in poverty and/or working to lesson the effects of poverty is a 'life changing' endeavor

    MASTERBATION; Besides eating and tinkering....what would some folks do with their hands if they could no longer jack off? TBH; Anything that helps 'reduce' the stresses that modern life offers us should be considered a Good Thing IMHO

    OVERWEIGHTNESS (is this a word?) if overweight..."EAT LESS- DO MORE"

    LACK OF MUCSLE MASS; See Above

    AGING; No cure for aging yet.....but many people half my age have a hard time keeping up????? WTF?

    SINGLEDOM; Developing a genuine respect, tolerance and thoughtfulness for other's and their assumed fallibility's is just ONE WAY to limit or eliminate being ALONE.....in this World....
    Last edited by droneBEE; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:32 AM. Reason: clarity
    HAL9000 and Ernest like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    > what would some folks do with their hands

    Play games. :-)

    As such, I think one of the solutions to apathy so to speak is virtual working.

    Though, even getting folk to work in a game I've noticed is pretty difficult..


    > SINGLEDOM; Developing a genuine respect, tolerance and thoughtfulness for other's and their assumed fallibility's is just ONE WAY to limit or eliminate being ALONE.....in this World....

    Sadly I find that doesn't really work as well as being richer than the other guy.

    Or should I say, work at all !

    Experimented with that too. :-)

    So, unless it takes asking 200,001 people to find that one person who doesn't just like someone because of how wealthy they are, I'm pretty sure at the moment, wealth trumps all.

    I keep trying though, just to see if I can disprove my theory. :-)


    > How does one 'experiment' with apathy?

    You keep trying random things until you hit on something that makes you apathetic !

    Or at least, you begin to suspect it does, so then you try not doing it for a while and see if you get rid of your apathy.

    Then you try it again to see if it returns.

    Once you have done that a few times, you can begin to get a feel for whether there is an actual connection between the two events.

    Ideally you want to study others as well, who do the same things and see if you can spot the same apathy in them as well. (Or not as might be the case!)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    > what would some folks do with their hands

    Play games. :-)

    As such, I think one of the solutions to apathy so to speak is virtual working.

    Though, even getting folk to work in a game I've noticed is pretty difficult..


    > SINGLEDOM; Developing a genuine respect, tolerance and thoughtfulness for other's and their assumed fallibility's is just ONE WAY to limit or eliminate being ALONE.....in this World....

    Sadly I find that doesn't really work as well as being richer than the other guy.

    Or should I say, work at all !

    Experimented with that too. :-)

    So, unless it takes asking 200,001 people to find that one person who doesn't just like someone because of how wealthy they are, I'm pretty sure at the moment, wealth trumps all.

    I keep trying though, just to see if I can disprove my theory. :-)


    > How does one 'experiment' with apathy?

    You keep trying random things until you hit on something that makes you apathetic !

    Or at least, you begin to suspect it does, so then you try not doing it for a while and see if you get rid of your apathy.

    Then you try it again to see if it returns.

    Once you have done that a few times, you can begin to get a feel for whether there is an actual connection between the two events.

    Ideally you want to study others as well, who do the same things and see if you can spot the same apathy in them as well. (Or not as might be the case!)


    Honestly, I think we already play enough games...its how we've learned to ignore/distract ourselves from the damage we cause both to ourselves, each other and to this planet.....
    We know more about our favorite athletes than our elected....and that ain't no accident, my Friends..

    Your assertion about 'Rich' guys somehow being 'less alone' than the less advantaged male makes no rational or logical sense at all and is contrary to any known reality....our current birth rate tells the truth....

    "If one is always seeking riches they will never find happiness....because they will never see what is right before them"

    "Wealth Trumps All" ???? ....well, that's one way to view the world ....I can clearly see why its pursuit would lead one through a lonely life though....and that is very SAD...

    I'm sorry....but the assertions/assumptions regarding 'apathy' are a loose mix of hilarity and ridiculousness......was that the point?

    Personally, I think everyone just needs to get out more often (DAILY), to 'deliberately' start mingling with those people that we are currently (obviously) afraid of and frequently misjudge...

    ....and BTW; I've never been bored with this life, have never 'felt' apathetic, and have been studying Human Behavior for at least 40 years.....

    I think some folks just have too much time on their hands/mouths and instead of doing something GOOD, they 'choose' to do Nothing at all.....

    What a wasted life, heh?
    Last edited by droneBEE; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:46 AM.
    Ernest likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Personally, I think everyone just needs to get out more often (DAILY), to 'deliberately' start mingling with those people that we are currently (obviously) afraid of and frequently misjudge...

    ....and BTW; I've never been bored with this life, have never 'felt' apathetic, and have been studying Human Behavior for at least 40 years.....

    I think some folks just have too much time on their hands/mouths and instead of doing something GOOD, they 'choose' to do Nothing at all.....

    What a wasted life, heh?
    Somewhere in our human development we made a wrong turn away from Community Relationships towards this separation & detachment from our fellow man. Its like today people grow up to fill a designated space in a Society of divisions & categories. And all our lives we stay in these spaces in our own categories and find it uncomfortable/difficult to just even leave it for a moment to visit & explore in these other spaces/categories of Society.

    Just try and talk to someone you generally are not used to doing and you can see how weird these reactions can often seem. Because in our Societies we don't normally teach this but rather make it okay for everyone to live like "strangers". So I think it's imperative for everyone to make an effort on their own and just try to be more Friendly & open towards one another.

    To be part of this larger Community we Naturally are all a part of. This could benefit you in so many ways like less Apathy, Depression, Boredom, Loneliness and more Happiness, Fulfillment, Optimism, Friends, Discovery ... ..
    droneBEE likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    Somewhere in our human development we made a wrong turn away from Community Relationships towards this separation & detachment from our fellow man. Its like today people grow up to fill a designated space in a Society of divisions & categories. And all our lives we stay in these spaces in our own categories and find it uncomfortable/difficult to just even leave it for a moment to visit & explore in these other spaces/categories of Society.

    Just try and talk to someone you generally are not used to doing and you can see how weird these reactions can often seem. Because in our Societies we don't normally teach this but rather make it okay for everyone to live like "strangers". So I think it's imperative for everyone to make an effort on their own and just try to be more Friendly & open towards one another.

    To be part of this larger Community we Naturally are all a part of. This could benefit you in so many ways like less Apathy, Depression, Boredom, Loneliness and more Happiness, Fulfillment, Optimism, Friends, Discovery ... ..
    Capitalism, Greed, combined with a corrupted sense of personal/individual 'self-entitlement' which inflates an already inflated EGO....along with our culture's general direction toward 'disconnecting' from the natural world and each other....has us in a 'titti twister' of great magnitude, no?
    Ernest likes this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1