Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Racism is many fallacies

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212

    Racism is many fallacies

    Racism is many fallacies, such as ad hominem, stereotyping, and straw man. Can you think of any other fallacies (or flaws, problems, etc.) with being racist?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Racism is many fallacies, such as ad hominem, stereotyping, and straw man. Can you think of any other fallacies (or flaws, problems, etc.) with being racist?
    From a liberal perspective yes but from a right-wing perspective, who knows.
    Ernest and droneBEE like this.
    "Change is almost always negative. Things degenerate." - Woody Allen

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    From a liberal perspective yes but from a right-wing perspective, who knows.
    Not sure what you mean by this; I don't see how political perspective is relevant to this question. Anyways, what are the other fallacies that you came up with?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,126
    Am I the only Non-White person posting in these pages?

    Saying what I want to say about this issue can easily be misinterpreted by folks without a similar background....mostly white folks.....so I don't want to intentionally offend anyone by saying just a few things that can only be understood by people who have actually suffered from racism, from racists, those of us who tolerate racists remarks simply because we are out numbered and the group we think we belong to is too weak to fight against it.

    I love it when White folks attempt to explain or rationalize racism..(NOT!)..Its like when a Man is explaining why he should be in control over a Women's body or mind....pure insanity IMO.....



    This place needs more women and people of color IMHO.....
    Ernest likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this; I don't see how political perspective is relevant to this question. Anyways, what are the other fallacies that you came up with?
    In other words, racism isn't a fallacy by definition.
    "Change is almost always negative. Things degenerate." - Woody Allen

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Am I the only Non-White person posting in these pages?

    Saying what I want to say about this issue can easily be misinterpreted by folks without a similar background....mostly white folks.....so I don't want to intentionally offend anyone by saying just a few things that can only be understood by people who have actually suffered from racism, from racists, those of us who tolerate racists remarks simply because we are out numbered and the group we think we belong to is too weak to fight against it.

    I love it when White folks attempt to explain or rationalize racism..(NOT!)..Its like when a Man is explaining why he should be in control over a Women's body or mind....pure insanity IMO.....



    This place needs more women and people of color IMHO.....
    DroneBEE - do you consider yourself racist or not racist?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    In other words, racism isn't a fallacy by definition.
    I'm curious, serenesam - what do you think fallacy means? Definitions do not determine whether something is or is not a fallacy. An examination of reasoning for any failures determines a fallacy. For example, a fallacy is an argument, as a whole, that's found to be invalid.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    DroneBEE - do you consider yourself racist or not racist?
    Hmmm...Do 'you' consider yourself one? Of course not, right? Jeeze, what a question,,,,thought we were beyond that???

    Is this an attempt to bait me into something which may be improbable or unlikely to fully comprehend? Beware where you tread my friend, my brother...unless you've been in my shoes (perhaps you have, I sure don't know) ....or the bare feet of anyone who has suffered from bigotry, regardless of the bigot's intentions.....regardless of the bigot's proclamation that they are not a bigot.....for the bigot is always the one most blind to his own bigotry....

    TBH; It makes little difference what 'I' think or consider myself, although I 'do' regularly associate with all kinds of folks, all stripes and colors if you will, even libertarians , although there's darn few of 'them' at the food shelter we volunteer at...it only makes a difference to the one offended by racism or has, or is currently suffering from 'systemic' racism that is rarely seen or recognized by the dominant race......the evidentiary list is long and terrible....
    Ernest likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm curious, serenesam - what do you think fallacy means? Definitions do not determine whether something is or is not a fallacy. An examination of reasoning for any failures determines a fallacy. For example, a fallacy is an argument, as a whole, that's found to be invalid.
    Humans on the planet have evolved differently. Therefore, as a result of that, it makes sense as to why certain "groups" or "races" might be superior.

    Keep in mind that I'm not just talking IQ here. For example, Blacks might be more athletic and so from that perspective, they are "superior."

    "Racism" can take many forms.....
    "Change is almost always negative. Things degenerate." - Woody Allen

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    TBH; It makes little difference what 'I' think or consider myself, although I 'do' regularly associate with all kinds of folks, all stripes and colors if you will, even libertarians , although there's darn few of 'them' at the food shelter we volunteer at...it only makes a difference to the one offended by racism or has, or is currently suffering from 'systemic' racism that is rarely seen or recognized by the dominant race......the evidentiary list is long and terrible...
    That's a good point and I don't understand why people try and deny that they were being Racist when the offended person/people keep trying to explain to them that it was to them? Today I see all over the media & society situations where people completely try & deny any Racist doings on their part when those Offended by their actions are showing them that they were Hurt by these actions. But yet these Offenders don't want to hear it or believe it ?

    I guess the problem begins when certain individuals hold Preconceived beliefs about those other Groups in the World that will then shape & influence their Moral judgements on them Without ever having to actually understand where they're coming from. So then people will carry with them a Different set of Moral standards for the various Groups around them. And this Inconsistency is where people make the mistake of going overboard in their assumptions of them.
    droneBEE likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1