Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Racism is many fallacies

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Hey Neil....could you possibly put all that stuff posted above into just one sentence?
    I don't know; probably not.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Racism is always a fallacy to the racists....
    That's an odd remark to make. If racism is ever a fallacy, then racism being a fallacy would be a universal truth to everyone, not just racists. Would you ever think of saying something like 2 + 2 equals 4 to right-handed people, as though 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 to left-handed people?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's an odd remark to make. If racism is ever a fallacy, then racism being a fallacy would be a universal truth to everyone, not just racists. Would you ever think of saying something like 2 + 2 equals 4 to right-handed people, as though 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 to left-handed people?
    Is this just another attempt to get into a fight....over nothing? Or just another 'insistence' that 'your' opinions are supreme? They are only your opinions, ya know?

    Give me a break Neil, stop feeling so sorry for yourself (it only reflects a twisted sense of self importance, ya know?), you'll feel better for it and perhaps you can stop lowering yourself to name calling and senseless debates about nothing......and going back to spreading the TZM message that you once did quite well....wahappend2U?

    "Just because one cannot see what another sees does not mean its not there"

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Is this just another attempt to get into a fight....over nothing? Or just another 'insistence' that 'your' opinions are supreme? They are only your opinions, ya know?
    I myself am just a mortal, fallible human being thus can be wrong about how I used or applied the facts, logic, and the scientific method. If you perceive this as a fight, then fight back and win! It shouldn't be difficult at all to win by simply pointing where I went wrong with the facts, logic, and the scientific method. That's what matters to me & I'll appreciate it and thank you for pointing out any of my mistakes. I'm not trying to insinuate that I'm never wrong, only that making things about me won't accomplish anything productive.

    If that's not your objective, then the only explanation I can think of is that you have something against facts, logic, and the scientific method. If that's the case, then I'd like to know - because I'm curious - what it is that you have against facts, logic, and the scientific method?

    When my friends, family, neighbors, community, country, or anyone else anywhere in the world are victimized or subjected to things like racism, there's more at stake than the notion that something's nothing more than mere opinion; so it's not nothing & it's my insistence that facts, logic, and the scientific method are supreme.

    I'm not after you to try to label or portray you as a racist, if that's what you're thinking. Maybe it was a mistake for me to react to you the way I did, back in post #6 & should've handled it differently. To me it was more about having a lead, follow, or get out of the way kind of sentiment. I'm far more interested in dealing with those who are racists and actually trying to make it fashionable to be openly racist for the purpose of gaining momentum or creating the illusion that their movement has momentum. It even seems to have managed to spread to this forum, although I'm not sure whether it's real or just an attempt to taint TZM. I don' think it makes a difference, anyways; I'm just addressing what's there & given, and I'm not interested in playing mind reading games.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Give me a break Neil, stop feeling so sorry for yourself (it only reflects a twisted sense of self importance, ya know?), you'll feel better for it
    Oh, you're trying to put a straw man of me on your shrink's couch now? LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    and perhaps you can stop lowering yourself to name calling and senseless debates about nothing......and going back to spreading the TZM message that you once did quite well....wahappend2U?
    What name calling are you talking about? There are some folks being openly racists, defending it, and not even denying that they are racists. I'm not the one lowering myself; they are. There's nothing wrong with "name calling" (correctly pointing something out or referring to something for what it is) when it's accurate.

    I do spread the TZM message all the time; but when things are happening on this forum, I can't just sit by idly and ignore it or pretend that it's not there. In fact I as far as I'm concerned I think I am spreading the TZM message (in a broader or more general sense).

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    "Just because one cannot see what another sees does not mean its not there"
    Yeah, I agree! You're preaching to the choir, here. But, go right ahead and...

    Last edited by Neil; 03-15-2017 at 01:01 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,992
    As one who professes to present just the FACTS, you sure give us an awful lot of personal opinions and perspective...

    If one cannot remember what they say, do or post on a website from day to day....it may be time to see a Doctor....or perhaps start limiting our use of cannabis?... jus sayin'

    Not remembering or failing to be accountable for ones words is a tactic also used by............Wait for it.................TRUMP...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    As one who professes to present just the FACTS, you sure give us an awful lot of personal opinions and perspective...
    I wouldn't exactly put it that way; rather I'd say it's the pursuit for facts, logic, and the scientific method. I also stated that I'm fallible, so if you find that I made a mistake with some facts, I prefer you simply point them out rather than engage in lecturing that alludes to unspecified mistakes that may or may not actually be around. What's wrong with perspective? What isn't some sort of perspective, from someone? If I have expressed an opinion (I'm not aware of any & I can't imagine that I would have ever done such a thing), you're free to dismiss it as such if you want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    If one cannot remember what they say, do or post on a website from day to day....it may be time to see a Doctor....or perhaps start limiting our use of cannabis?... jus sayin'
    That's a good guess, but actually I'm not that kind of libertarian LOL. I've never inhaled anything, not even tobacco. When I was young I had asthma problems, so that probably discouraged me from ever wanting to smoke anything. I've also had TMJ dysfunction that I've been trying to deal with for a long time; it used to cause bad headaches and still causes them sometimes,

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Not remembering or failing to be accountable for ones words is a tactic also used by............Wait for it.................TRUMP...
    So your point is that - wait for it - TRUMP needs to start limiting the use of cannabis?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I wouldn't exactly put it that way; rather I'd say it's the pursuit for facts, logic, and the scientific method. I also stated that I'm fallible, so if you find that I made a mistake with some facts, I prefer you simply point them out rather than engage in lecturing that alludes to unspecified mistakes that may or may not actually be around. What's wrong with perspective? What isn't some sort of perspective, from someone? If I have expressed an opinion (I'm not aware of any & I can't imagine that I would have ever done such a thing), you're free to dismiss it as such if you want to.


    That's a good guess, but actually I'm not that kind of libertarian LOL. I've never inhaled anything, not even tobacco. When I was young I had asthma problems, so that probably discouraged me from ever wanting to smoke anything. I've also had TMJ dysfunction that I've been trying to deal with for a long time; it used to cause bad headaches and still causes them sometimes,


    So your point is that - wait for it - TRUMP needs to start limiting the use of cannabis?


    Jeesh...I've attempted to point some errors that you've presented as FACTS....those attempts have gone no where....It seems that you're just not as interested in 'self correction' as in correcting other's??

    Ok...so if you cannot 'remember' things...and its not from smoking Pot, then a Doctor appointment would be a good thing, no?

    I also have some TMJ issues....due to either an 'impact injury' or 'concussive head trauma' decades ago..(VA never has made up its mind).... My TMJ issues are minimally problematic when compared with my other other physical limitations though...

    Nah...I think everyone should use cannabis whenever they need it or want it.....and that it should be as easy to obtain as a Garden Tomato...

    Trump could certainly use a Joint now and then IMHO.....it could only help....

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yup.
    No disagreement there.

    Statistics doesn't make an individual who they are; the content of their character does that.
    Sure, but isn't cognitive intelligence important to a certain degree? Isn't there a point where perhaps a bunch of average intelligent people hold the more intelligent ones back? I get the whole compassion and stuff but is there a point where "dysgenics" become problematic to a certain society/civilization?

    This is just spin to promote and try to justify racism. It's garbage from the get-go. It starts off with some dubious premises; for example, the claim that people do not get along well because they are different races - simply not true.
    Is it really a claim or has there been studies associated with it? Are we talking subconscious or conscious? Are we talking exceptions here? I mean, there's always going to be exceptions/outliers.

    There are plenty of individuals of different races who get along well with each other,
    Yes.

    and there are plenty of situations where individuals of the same race don't get along with each other.
    Of course.

    If this premise from an argument, it's an invalid conclusion given that in cases where there were individuals of different races not getting along with each other could have been for some other reason rather than because of their race. Maybe there are some individuals who don't get along because they're of different races; all that shows is that they're racists & they're probably racists because they were raised that way or they're impressionable by someone who they look up to who is a racist and persuaded them to be racist.

    I don't get along well with racists (regardless of their race), and I can get along with individuals who aren't racists; this means I don't get along well with individuals of the same race, not because they're the same race, but because they're racists. If I don't get along with someone who isn't racist, it's not because they're not a racist.

    The next claim is "diversity leads to fewer friends, less truth, and lower [overall] life satisfaction". This is unsound, because excluding others based on their race being different results in less options or opportunities for choices of friends. Being friends with only those who are the same race as you can lead to depriving or denying yourself from access to other perspectives on life & reality; typically this leads to being friends with only fellow racists of the same race means you're surrounding yourself with ignorant and uneducated individuals, meaning you'll end up being as ignorant and not as educated as you could've been had you not excluded more knowledgeable, more informed, and well educated non-racists.
    Wouldn't that depend if you're part of the superior or inferior race? Perhaps another way to look at it would be to put race aside and simply thoroughly examine hierarchy itself. Hierarchy will always be present (and it appears race is associated with it) because in the system we have, there will always be those at the top and those at the bottom.

    Being a racist practically implies being inherently dissatisfied with life and maybe even being rather unhealthy, because it arbitrarily means having to hate or have contempt for someone because of their ethnicity, and that's because the racist is forcing themselves to believe something that has no truth or reason to it.
    Who knows. A lot of the racists you see these days appear happy and successful with their nice suits and haircuts.

    Trying to force yourself to believe something that isn't true or reasonable (including lying & cognitive dissonance) can probably be perpetually stressful & prolonged stress is not healthy.
    What if they actually believe it is true and factual?

    Let's consider that maybe it goes even further than that - it might lead to depression and paranoia. I don't see anything satisfying about stress, depression, or paranoia.
    Depression is actually quite common....I don't think only racists are susceptible to it.....

    That doesn't make a different to the point I'm referring to; the point is it's not a word that expresses certainty, such as "are" or "are not".
    How many things in life are with certainty? The point more importantly are the averages because it's actually the averages that count as they affect progress, economics, etc.
    "Change is almost always negative. Things degenerate." - Woody Allen

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    479
    Here's a great link talking about fallacies:

    False Dichotomy, Slippery Slope And Motte-And-Bailey Arguments Amerika

    Neil could make use of some great lessons.
    HAL9000 likes this.
    "Change is almost always negative. Things degenerate." - Woody Allen

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Jeesh...I've attempted to point some errors that you've presented as FACTS....those attempts have gone no where....
    You're making the claim that you attempted to point out some errors that I've presented as facts, and you're making a claim that they've gone nowhere. Making claims that you did something doesn't prove that you actually did them.

    Maybe they went nowhere because I didn't concur with you on your points, for whatever reason & we'd have to go through all of them on a case-by-case basis to determine them. If I don't concur, provide your rebuttal to my reasons for rejecting your points. You either will or you won't & until then I'm simply going to continue to not concur with you. If you do, then maybe we can advance towards determining whether the error is from my end or your end.

    Let's start with one example of something that's an opinion that I'm presenting as fact; there very well may be plenty available for you to provide as examples, but given your record of persistently leaving questions I ask unanswered, I'd be surprised if you actually provide any example, but I'm asking anyways. Until you bring up an example, though, I'm going to call it an unproven allegation every time you try to bring it up or anything else you don't site.

    I'll also bring up that I still don't matter. I'm here on this forum because I'm interested in discussing facts and solutions to society's problems, not to read about you or anyone else trying to lecture me about how you tried to tell me this or that and I did or didn't do this or that. Why spend spend so much time on me like that? I'm only one of many people in this world.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    It seems that you're just not as interested in 'self correction' as in correcting other's??
    I am very interested in self correction; just because I don't religiously swallow everything you say as gospel doesn't mean I don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Ok...so if you cannot 'remember' things...and its not from smoking Pot, then a Doctor appointment would be a good thing, no?
    For something that's far from life threatening & relatively benign? Nah.

    Perhaps you're making a mountain out of a mole hill by equating my less than perfect memory skills for some sort of health problem.

    I'd also rather go for simpler & less expensive solutions such as self help books than pharmaceutical industry chemicals that probably have adverse long-term side effects. I'm re-reading "The Memory Book" by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas; cost me $10. It has some great techniques when one puts minimal effort in applying them; they take some practice and effort but I've tried them and they do work amazingly well. When I do apply the techniques they mention it seems like I have photographic memory, but it's not going to make it so I can remember every single thing I've ever done.

    A good liar has good memory, and they probably have good memory because it's necessary to be a good liar. I might say something that contradicts something I said earlier, but if I did it wasn't intentional. If I say something that contradicts something I said earlier, all you have to do is show me my contradictions & I'll be happy to correct myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    I also have some TMJ issues....due to either an 'impact injury' or 'concussive head trauma' decades ago..(VA never has made up its mind).... My TMJ issues are minimally problematic when compared with my other other physical limitations though...
    Sorry to hear that.

    I'm not going to get into the details, but my experience with TMJ dysfunction has actually given me some insight into why society may have some of its problems. I'd have to get into details and long-winded explanations about why. All I know is that it's one of those things that I wasn't aware was a problem and that it wasn't normal to have things such as constant soreness in my jaw, or the clicking in my jaw joint, or the random bouts of tinnitus, or several other issues. Some of these problems can wear a person down, make it difficult to get sleep, or focus & concentrate, or wake up with a bad headache. Could something as simple as TMJ dysfunction cause people to be late for work, or lose their jobs, or get into legal trouble? I also think that our scientific & medical understanding of TMJ dysfunction is abysmal, and as soon as I have the luxury to be able to do something about it, my intention is to have a TMJ dysfunction awareness campaign (and no, I'm not going to stand on some street corner holding up a sign that says "TMJ Dysfunction Awareness" LOL).

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Nah...I think everyone should use cannabis whenever they need it or want it.....and that it should be as easy to obtain as a Garden Tomato...
    That's fine with me; after all, I am a libertarian.

    Quote Originally Posted by droneBEE View Post
    Trump could certainly use a Joint now and then IMHO.....it could only help....
    Not sure what Trump has to do with this thread, but I suppose you could send hum a Twitter message with that suggestions.
    Last edited by Neil; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:11 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1