Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The solution to society's problems...

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,059
    We may not like the answers we find, especially when we finally begin to understand.....but by simply asking the questions we've taken the necessary first steps....

    I've got plenty of 'opinions' on this subject......but can wait for the science to confirm them....
    HAL9000 and Ernest like this.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    I want to ask - am i way off here blabbering nonsense, or maybe its actually a groundbreaking idea? because if it is I'm honestly thinking about publishing a short essay about this idea....
    Its amazing to me that no one in written history(as far as i can tell) was able to accurately pinpoint humanity's problems to a single cause and a single solution.

    The science of SCARCITY AND ABUNDANCE (be it natural or artificial) should be the mother of all sciences.... the most important subject on our list of priorities, is it not?
    That's a Fascinating subject to look into. But it's really intimidating how wide & broad this topic goes. I think focusing on the Scarcity question more will help make the Abundance questions easier to answer. But where to start? I guess going far back as we can and seeing what the Natural World says about it. Is the World & Life always meant to be confined by Scarcity or is Abundance the way these things were always meant to work out from?
    droneBEE and HAL9000 like this.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    That's a Fascinating subject to look into. But it's really intimidating how wide & broad this topic goes. I think focusing on the Scarcity question more will help make the Abundance questions easier to answer. But where to start? I guess going far back as we can and seeing what the Natural World says about it. Is the World & Life always meant to be confined by Scarcity or is Abundance the way these things were always meant to work out from?
    You are right that this is a huge subject, when we try to unify many subjects we are overwhelmed, but when we specialize we don't see the root causes or the big picture.... what is the solution?

    Starting with scarcity alone is a good idea.
    Ernest and droneBEE like this.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    You are right that this is a huge subject, when we try to unify many subjects we are overwhelmed, but when we specialize we don't see the root causes or the big picture.... what is the solution?

    Starting with scarcity alone is a good idea.
    Especially 'artificial' scarcity designed solely for individual profit at the expense of all others...

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    197
    Here is my naive way of seeing it at the most fundamental level:

    First (by chance it would seem) life appears -- i.e., self-replicating molecules.

    An organism which self-replicates automatically engages in exponential growth as long as it finds the necessary resources (energy and minerals)

    At some point inevitably the population becomes very large and resources become scarce

    So fundamentally abundance leads to scarcity -- the first is needed for growth, the second follows from growth and is actually needed for evolution. Indeed, with infinite resources, life would be happy to stay in a very primitive stage and just multiply. Only with scarcity comes specialisation, competition and diversity.

    That's how life seems to work. However life has not had time to adapt to our advances in technology which actually allow humans to control their biological propensities to grow exponentially. We may use this to build an artificial, sustainable world of abundance. But one may argue that this would be boring and could possibly halt the process of evolution -- except if we purposely (again artificially) inject some evolutionary pressure.
    droneBEE, HAL9000 and Ernest like this.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,059
    I think I like where you're going with this Phil......But I still believe that it is GREED, along with a self obsessed sense of individuality, which denies community efforts, that leads us toward scarcity, not abundance, which when viewed objectively is not scarce at all, but simply under 'control' by the few.....the excessively GREEDY....our current masters.
    Last edited by droneBEE; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:29 AM.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

    An organism which self-replicates automatically engages in exponential growth as long as it finds the necessary resources (energy and minerals)

    At some point inevitably the population becomes very large and resources become scarce
    So basically you're saying that overpopulation is key factor of scarcity yes? but what about the added value that more people bring to produce, invent, and solve problems...
    droneBEE likes this.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    So basically you're saying that overpopulation is key factor of scarcity yes? but what about the added value that more people bring to produce, invent, and solve problems...
    ....and lets not forget...."People" add 'value' to everything we are interested in consuming, obtaining and experiencing....WE the People create the VALUE of everything we desire, everything we see, eat and possess....not those who then feed off of us...

    It is our 'conditioning' that says this is not true....but once that genie is out of the collective bottle....Well....anything might be possible, no?
    Ernest likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1