Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The solution to society's problems...

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,119
    @ fsir; That's seeing the big picture!....RIGHT ON!

    Here's the primary difference though; What earthly species consumes/wastes/destroy's the most resources, controls or labels them 'scarce' to create self enrichment and then justifies more of the same with fear-based illusions forced upon their fellow members?

    Why, we're so far ahead of any other species that we should get an award . Its ridicules to compare our destruction to this world with any other being we temporally share it with.....with exception of maybe some unknown fungi .... or that asteroid hurtling our way......or some as yet to manifest virus or bacteria........but even those species wouldn't come close to causing the damage of HUMANS ....IMO.

    ....and we're the one species that 'SHOULD' KNOW BETTER.....
    Last edited by droneBEE; 01-24-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    fsir and Ernest like this.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by fsir View Post

    Look at our relationship with the dog. 50,000 years ago we were adversaries over resources with the ancestors of the dog. But we learned that we could recognize the dog's need of resources and entered a symbiotic relationship with them where both of our needs for resources can be peacefully recognized by the other.
    what you're describing is trade. we use our technological advantage to gather resources more efficiently and deduct some of it for the dog, and in return the dog gives back to us security, muscle power, hunting and friendship...
    this is great, but it doesn't eliminate scarcity at all. almost any animal that couldn't be domesticated by us was slaughtered and went extinct.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    what you're describing is trade. we use our technological advantage to gather resources more efficiently and deduct some of it for the dog, and in return the dog gives back to us security, muscle power, hunting and friendship...
    this is great, but it doesn't eliminate scarcity at all. almost any animal that couldn't be domesticated by us was slaughtered and went extinct.
    That's the same as saying any animal that wouldn't or couldn't negotiate with us had to be exterminated or pushed out of the way. And that makes some sense in a prehistoric context because most lower species don't have the intellectual capacity to negotiate peacefully over resources. But human's do. So I can understand it if your argument is our relationship with other species that lack sufficient intellectual capacity for negotiation drives scarcity. But we are in control of this planet now and its species and we know better.

    So the scarcity for the big things like food, shelter, water, education is artificial.

    Resources, like land, start out as neutral and a resource management policy is only later applied by any species using those resources.
    Last edited by fsir; 01-24-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    Ernest and droneBEE like this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by fsir View Post
    And so scarcity is not a fundamental property of Nature but manifests in the way species manage their environment.
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

    If it was Fundamental to Nature, wouldn't more species go extinct or Humans even not be able to increase in population and things like that in the World that's naturally scarce because more species require more resources to survive & thrive so then there would be like a natural resource limit line that if crossed/past would seriously affect our way of life? So that's why I believe its in how the Management & Sharing of resources that will demonstrate whether we live in Scarcity or not.
    fsir, YaseaP and droneBEE like this.

  5. #45
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    21
    I have other problems that can not be taken lightly. He is the pollution of the environment such as global warming, pollution of rivers, garbage, air pollution and others. For the pollution of the river, we have to do the processing of waste water streams such as garbage and industrial waste. This is a big problem.
    Ernest likes this.
    Waste Water Treatment Indonesia to save the world, especially our water.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    650
    I would like with your permission to continue the discussion about scarcity in nature....

    Isn't scarcity a fundamental property of nature? if not then why? nature was scarce to the dinosaurs, to the Trilobite and to 99.99% of all species who ever existed - they are all gone extinct.

    And another thing - I'm starting to think about scarcity as the only problem to be solved, as all other problems are branches of scarcity.

    If true, it could simplify TZM and TVP theories to only one problem and one solution, that is scarcity and abundance respectively, and hold some promise to pinpoint what we're trying to achieve because right now we are going in too many directions.
    Last edited by HAL9000; 04-18-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    droneBEE and Ernest like this.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    I would like with your permission to continue the discussion about scarcity in nature....

    Isn't scarcity a fundamental property of nature? if not then why? nature was scarce to the dinosaurs, to the Trilobite and to 99.99% of all species who ever existed - they are all gone extinct.

    And another thing - I'm starting to think about scarcity as the only problem to be solved, as all other problems are branches of scarcity.

    If true, it could simplify TZM and TVP theories to only one problem and one solution, that is scarcity and abundance respectively, and hold some promise to pinpoint what we're trying to achieve because right now we are going in too many directions.
    Permission granted.

    (Just FYI - my participation, if any, will be limited; I'm busy working on a project right now.)

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    302
    > I'm starting to think about scarcity as the only problem to be solved

    Infographic: There's Big Money to Be Made in Asteroid Mining

    > NASA estimates this belt to hold $700 quintillion of bounty. That’s about $100 billion for each person on Earth.

    So the answer is asteroid mining. :-)


    I did briefly suggest our local airport might make a good location for a spaceport, so far one neighbour thinks its a good idea..

    U.K. offering grants for launches from new spaceports in the country - SpaceNews.com
    HAL9000 likes this.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
    I would like with your permission to continue the discussion about scarcity in nature....

    Isn't scarcity a fundamental property of nature? if not then why? nature was scarce to the dinosaurs, to the Trilobite and to 99.99% of all species who ever existed - they are all gone extinct.
    I guess it depends on the species. Other animals & dinosaurs I guess would be more dependent on how their environment provides for them while Humans I think are more capable of controlling the environment and what it can provide. So I think the Scarcity level becomes dependent on what certain species are able to do with their environment to reduce/end Scarcity.

    I like to look at it Philosophically also. Wouldn't Scarcity being Fundamental to Nature then set some type of ultimate barrier to Evolution & Growth? Isn't a part of why we are able to continue to develop really because we have & need an Abundant amount of natural resources to grow? To me Scarcity seems at first sight to be part of Nature but then it becomes almost like, what would be the point to all of it? I feel that we have been here this long on the Planet because of what Abundance has been able to do for us. And if Scarcity was in fact a Fundamental property of Nature, it would set Limits in our evolution and ultimately limits in how we live and how much we can grow etc. ... ?
    HAL9000 likes this.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Permission granted.
    Alright then, i hope you could join because it was your post who got me thinking when i suddenly had a eureka moment.

    What i want to introduce to you guys today is a new way of thinking about our problems and solutions, and also a new type of science - THE SCIENCE OF SCARCITY AND ABUNDANCE.

    The science of scarcity:

    This field is dedicated to the study of scarcity - where does scarcity come from? Is scarcity natural or artificial? how humans reduce and/or add to scarcity? is the energy in the universe scarce?
    What types of scarcity there are? (resources, sexual mates, companionship, community, love). How did humans in the past coped with scarcity? (laws, politics, religions, money and economics come to mind)

    As you can see in this field we trace scarcity to its origin from the big bang all the way to recent history in order to have a deep knowledge of it. just a clue: the global universe is scarce in energy because of entropy, but locally its temporarily abundant because of the sun nuclear fusion.
    It is a multidisciplinary field - history, geography, anthropology, physics and technology.

    The science of abundance

    Now the fun begins..... This field is dedicated solely to the reduction of scarcity and the addition of abundance both to human systems and other natural systems.
    It is a multidisciplinary field consisting of many other fields like agriculture, water irrigation, robotics, communications, automation, nuclear fusion, renewable energy and many more.

    The science of abundance deals with the questions - what is abundance? is it relative or absolute? how can we create abundance right now?

    By which methods can we create abundance to people - by implementing automation and technology or by distributing wealth more equitably or maybe both?


    I want to ask - am i way off here blabbering nonsense, or maybe its actually a groundbreaking idea? because if it is I'm honestly thinking about publishing a short essay about this idea....
    Its amazing to me that no one in written history(as far as i can tell) was able to accurately pinpoint humanity's problems to a single cause and a single solution.

    The science of SCARCITY AND ABUNDANCE (be it natural or artificial) should be the mother of all sciences.... the most important subject on our list of priorities, is it not?
    Ernest and droneBEE like this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1