Page 86 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 928
Like Tree558Likes

Thread: The Rise of The Alt Right

  1. #851
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by SophicDrippins View Post
    I wouldn't mind being born tomorrow.
    yeah if it's still in the same shape as today. But just seeing how things are going in the World doesn't seem like that will always be the case ...

  2. #852
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    yeah if it's still in the same shape as today. But just seeing how things are going in the World doesn't seem like that will always be the case ...
    Looks good to me:



    I never would have thought it, but I may live to see manual labor become antiquated.
    YouTuber likes this.

  3. #853
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    > Robots sorting system helps Chinese company finish at least 200,000 packages a day in the warehouse

    Great video, though I can see why when I order something over 1m in length, it takes just forever to arrive and comes rather battered..

    That's if I'm even allowed to order anything so large !

  4. #854
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    > have forgotten how to use the tools needed to be stewards while we live here, instead we've become consumers 'willingly' eating our own tails....

    Life has always been consumers, driven to reproduce until their population is culled by nature, or some other species.

    We could do better, if we could escape our shackles that keep telling us to breed.

    Sadly though, not breeding goes against the very nature of evolution, as such, evolution will adjust our behaviour to stop us doing such silly things, and thus as hard as we try to escape the laws of nature, we get dragged back down again into the mud to behave as little fishes again and again.

    Can we escape this spiral ?

    Maybe.

  5. #855
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    > Robots sorting system helps Chinese company finish at least 200,000 packages a day in the warehouse

    Great video, though I can see why when I order something over 1m in length, it takes just forever to arrive and comes rather battered..

    That's if I'm even allowed to order anything so large !
    There must be a shortage of workers handling large packages. The newer generation doesn't want to be burdened with such work... even in china!



    The labor force declined by almost 5 million in 2015 and it was the 4th consecutive year of declines. It's not because the population is shrinking, but because people choose not to work by demanding pay that is too high (ie sense of entitlement).

    I can't imagine what everyone is going to do when there is not enough suitable work to go around.

    If robots take a job, then the person who was replaced could theoretically still receive his check. Instead, the money is usually transferred to his employer while the worker is supported by government. Obviously, that can't go on. Some paradigm will have to change.

  6. #856
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    > have forgotten how to use the tools needed to be stewards while we live here, instead we've become consumers 'willingly' eating our own tails....

    Life has always been consumers, driven to reproduce until their population is culled by nature, or some other species.

    We could do better, if we could escape our shackles that keep telling us to breed.

    Sadly though, not breeding goes against the very nature of evolution, as such, evolution will adjust our behaviour to stop us doing such silly things, and thus as hard as we try to escape the laws of nature, we get dragged back down again into the mud to behave as little fishes again and again.

    Can we escape this spiral ?

    Maybe.
    The problem is that the dumb are breeding while the smart are not. It's like Noam Chomsky said "Intelligence is a lethal mutation."
    YouTuber likes this.

  7. #857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by SophicDrippins View Post
    Looks good to me
    be Grateful to be where you are then.

  8. #858
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    be Grateful to be where you are then.
    You're right. As I said before, give me everything and I'll find something else to want. So you're right.... it really doesn't matter.

    I think, mostly, I'm just curious about the future.

    Ben Franklin was curious too and especially about how the US was going to develop, but he came to a point where it no longer mattered:

    His daughter, Sally, told him that she hoped he would live many years more. "I hope not," he replied. Franklin's Philadelphia: His grave

  9. #859
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    > people choose not to work by demanding pay that is too high

    One of the reasons behind that is rising property prices, which can result in a household of two, needing both people to work at a certain high salary level to even afford to pay the rent/mortgage on such a place.

    Mind you, most people want to live in quite a nice place, rather than a very basic place at half the cost !

    But even those basic places, at the bottom of the food chain are now so expensive, you need a well paid job just to live in someone else's closet !

  10. #860
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    238
    > I can't imagine what everyone is going to do when there is not enough suitable work to go around.

    They become homeless, unless they can get to go and live back with their parents.

    But then, once their parents die, unless they have some kind of income, how are they going to support themselves and avoid being homeless !


    I guess its evolution and natural selection in practice, a slow death for folk with those genes.


    At the end of the day, the last person with a job, what will they do when they are made redundant..


    I suspect something like Universal Basic Income will help, though it will help to maintain a large genepool, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as the pool doesn't keep getting bigger and bigger and becomes unsustainable.

Page 86 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1