Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 721 to 730 of 730
Like Tree458Likes

Thread: The Rise of The Alt Right

  1. #721
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    383
    “First rate mathematicians choose first rate people, but second rate mathematicians choose third rate people.” - Andre Weil, mathematician
    Last edited by serenesam; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 PM.
    YouTuber likes this.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

  2. #722
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    133
    I came across this related article a few moments ago:

    https://booktrib.com/2015/12/how-hum...-a-good-thing/
    > How Humans Evolved to Have Too Much of a Good Thing
    Last edited by YouTuber; 1 Week Ago at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added URL description.
    serenesam likes this.

  3. #723
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    I came across this related article a few moments ago:

    https://booktrib.com/2015/12/how-hum...-a-good-thing/
    > How Humans Evolved to Have Too Much of a Good Thing
    Good article. I have anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress. I am unemployed and basically unemployable because anything that I wanted to do to help this planet isn't profitable and I disagree with working towards something that is the wrong direction. I have no motivation to have a child because I don't think bringing a child into this insane planet is moral...
    YouTuber and Ernest like this.

  4. #724
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    133
    I share your concerns about bringing children into this world.

    > anything that I wanted to do to help this planet isn't profitable

    Perhaps you could take donations towards what you want to do ?


    Or we could brainstorm and try to find something that fits within your current resource level.
    Ernest likes this.

  5. #725
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by YouTuber View Post
    I came across this related article a few moments ago:

    https://booktrib.com/2015/12/how-hum...-a-good-thing/
    > How Humans Evolved to Have Too Much of a Good Thing
    That actually doesn't surprise me. Humans have to learn to embrace hardships whether it be physically or mentally in order for the society/civilization to progress. It's a bit contradictory to certain people who simply can't accept that a paradox does in fact constitute a state of normality. The irony in TZM/RBE is its desire to eliminate or attempt to eliminate as much what can be considered negative but in the process of doing so, would actually either create more problems or the problems morph into other problems.

    This is why sometimes, the most beautiful people really are the ones who have had to "struggle" for a very long time and ironically as well as almost incomprehensibly, they might actually be smarter than other people who have had a good life all their life.
    HAL9000 likes this.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

  6. #726
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    383
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

  7. #727
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Riedel View Post
    Good article. I have anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress. I am unemployed and basically unemployable because anything that I wanted to do to help this planet isn't profitable and I disagree with working towards something that is the wrong direction. I have no motivation to have a child because I don't think bringing a child into this insane planet is moral...
    Seems to me that you are a perfect candidate to enter the wonderful life of 'VOLUNTEERING"

    The World needs you Man.....Get out there and do some GOOD things. Just let me know if you need any advise on how to get started.....
    YouTuber, Ernest and HAL9000 like this.

  8. #728
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    That actually doesn't surprise me. Humans have to learn to embrace hardships whether it be physically or mentally in order for the society/civilization to progress. It's a bit contradictory to certain people who simply can't accept that a paradox does in fact constitute a state of normality. The irony in TZM/RBE is its desire to eliminate or attempt to eliminate as much what can be considered negative but in the process of doing so, would actually either create more problems or the problems morph into other problems.

    This is why sometimes, the most beautiful people really are the ones who have had to "struggle" for a very long time and ironically as well as almost incomprehensibly, they might actually be smarter than other people who have had a good life all their life.
    Yeah....I posted a good study on this subject a while ago....it was mostly ignored by the Forum...

  9. #729
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwest Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,883
    Struggles and challenges....they shape us, they teach us....Life would be dull without them...

  10. #730
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, I've been familiar with them for a while, and I have found flaws in their claims/arguments. Maybe I'll address them (they typically involve faulty arguments, assumptions, and claims); but for now let's look at this from the perspective of the issue at hand. How can you or I make our own observation that the earth is flat - or a globe? I still remember being able to watch the sunset from my Camp Pendleton home, which was a bit elevated above sea level, when I was 5 years old; to me it looked like the sun was dunking itself into the Pacific ocean; when I was taught that the earth is a globe and the sun is very large and very far away, I better understood what I was seeing when I was observing those sunsets.

    When we're told that the earth is a globe, but we cannot verify this on our own, we have a claim being made to us. The same is just as true, though, when someone claims that the earth is flat. Who should be believed, those who say the earth is a globe, or those who say the earth is flat? Basically, I think one is right to be skeptical of both. It's probably a little more difficult to do the things we need to do to show more directly that the earth is a globe (e.g., acquisition of a spaceship), but it's easier to show that the earth is not flat, which dispels the flat earther's claims; for example: Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat | SmarterThanThat

    When we can't make direct observations ourselves, we typically have to rely on the documentation by others. Have you ever been to Egypt and seen the Giza pyramids for yourself? If not, how do you know they really exist? I've known people who have been there, but they didn't say to me that it's all a lie. Same with other parts of the world and things in them, the facts and figures we read in textbooks, history books, etc. In those cases, we don't have large numbers of individuals saying they went to Giza looking for the pyramids and found nothing of the sort. At least there are many pictures from countless angles, including satellites. Suppose one day you go to Giza and discover that there's nothing there? Then you'd know all those photos, satellite images, claims, etc. are a lie. Someone, or a huge number of people, would have to be in on it and do a lot of hard work just to trick you into believing something that isn't there & for what purpose - especially if you discover the truth for yourself? This is where reasoning comes in, and it's done to determine if information is reliable or unreliable.

    I accept that there are pyramids in Giza, because the information is consistent, reliable, etc. I accept that the earth is a globe, because the information is consistent, reliable, etc. On the other hand, I do not accept the "official" story of the 9/11/01 attacks, because the information is not consistent, not reliable, etc.

    Now let's get back to the thread topic and how this applies to that - how much about the alt right and what they think & believe comes from consistent, reliable information - or direct observation? I've encountered problems with the alt right, when it comes to this.
    Check out the following articles:

    Are the crew members of 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger still alive?
    They’re Alive!! Challenger Crew Found Alive and Well 30 years since the Disaster

    What are the odds?
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
web statistics
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1